Staying Safe & Strong Amid COVID-19
With the recent COVID-19 pandemic facing the globe, we’re being forced to face a new reality of social distancing and isolation. While most are stuck inside their homes and normal activities are halted for the unforeseeable future, there’s one thing that shouldn’t stop—being active. Of course, the idea staying active with the constraints of social distancing limits a lot of options, there are some ways to keep your feet and ankles strong and fit while at home.
1. Get creative! Look around your house and see how you can work out while at home. There are plenty ways to work out without a gym or equipment. Do sit ups, pushups, planks, squats and leg lifts.
2. Stay connected to your family and friends. Help to keep yourself accountable by including friends in the mix and check in with everyone to make sure they’re staying safe and active, too.
3. Check online resources. There are numerous free resources available online to follow along with fitness videos or other classes. YouTube alone has numerous exercise videos and workout options for you to take advantage of from the safety of your home.
4. E-Workouts could be an option. Check with your local fitness studios on what they’re offering. While most are slowly closing their doors, there are many instructors out there offering virtual classes as an alternative to in-person classes.
5. Get outside! You can still get outside and go for walks without putting yourself at risk. Go for a walk, run, walk the dog or go for a hike. You can get some fresh air and activity while still practicing social distancing this way. Even if you feel better staying inside, take scheduled breaks each day to get up from your spot and walk around your home.
6. Play with your kids! With children out of school, this is a great time to have some family fun. Play dress up, build a fort, have a dance party or draw together.
No matter what you do, even if it’s something small each day, staying active will help to not only keep your feet and ankles strong, but it will help break up the time stuck at home.